These are a few of my favorite things...
Fall is one of my favorite things. Under the umbrella of fall are many subsets of my favorite things like yummy drinks (cider, apple chai, occasionally a Starbucks), loose sweaters, boots, the fireplace, cuddles under blankets, and of course, FOOD. Pumpkin everything for desserts, homemade apple sauce, and for dinners, warm, thick, comforting, delicious food. Which typically also includes family time which happens to be another favorite thing.
I am very lucky that most of my family is GF and different shades of paleo because that makes get togethers so much easier. I love weekly dinners at my parents house (I usually bring dessert of course) and this weekend my brother in law was in town so we had everyone over for dinner last night and boy was the food DELISH. I made paleo spaghetti, my Mom brought the apple cider, and my brother-in-law made lava cakes. You heard me - LAVA CAKES. You know, that really decadent little cake that literally melts in the middle? mmmmmmm
I thought it only fair to share with you:
Spaghetti Squash noodles:
- Heat up your oven to 400F
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the yucky squishy insides and seeds.
- Put aluminum foil on a pan, grease it (spray or coconut oil works) and place the spaghetti squash face down....
- Place it in the oven until you can poke the outside with a fork pretty easily, about 45 minutes.
- Then take it out of the oven, flip it over and use a fork to scrape and separate all the "noodles"
This is really variable depending on what you like! I don't have any measurements for you, but double the meat and tomato sauces if you have company over...
- Brown 1lb ground beef
- Drain, and add 1 can tomato sauce, 1 can diced tomato's, and 4oz chopped mushrooms.
- Add spices to your taste. I added fresh, chopped cilantro and parsley, along with ground garlic, rosemary, sage, oregano and salt!
Super easy right? YES and soooooo delicious. And to think - you are substituting horrible wheat noodles for a VEGETABLE! It's doesn't get better than this :)
For a really decadent treat (yes this cheats with evil sugar), try these - but HALVE THE BUTTER!!!!!
If you want to make amazing, homemade apple sauce use this recipe - it's a great activity with kids, and it uses the crockpot so it can't get much easier!!! Also, I love to make a lot and then freeze some for later in the year.
What makes food taste even better? When you have a house full of family you love to eat it with you. :)